Wednesday, October 26, 2016

3D printer - FlashForge Finder

I recently was lucky enough to have a 3D printer, the FlashForge Finder, through Donor's Choose at the beginning of the school year. Honestly, I didn't have a clue what I was getting myself into with 3D printing. I knew I wanted to give students an opportunity to design, create, and share using a 3D printer because I had seen the amazing objects being shared on Twitter. Also, we had a 5th grade teacher move onto another school this year who had been using a 3D printer for a few years. I felt obligated to carry on the tradition for this year's 5th graders.

FlashForge Finder


Of course, I thought it would easily just plug in and start printing. I was wrong. It was a little difficult getting the printing table aligned and balanced. Make sure to follow the directions completely when leveling it. Also, I had trouble with the PLA plastic not sticking to the printing table after the first couple of prints. I ordered BuildTak adhesive and it took care of the problem.

Here are a few websites/articles to help you get started using any 3D printer. I wish I had read these before I started printing:
Here's an example of some of the amazing objects my 5th graders have designed using TinkerCAD:
Nameplates, Lounge Chair/Swimming Pool, 6-sided Die

No comments:

Post a Comment