Tuesday, September 4, 2018

My blended learning environment

Six years ago, I became the technology teacher and librarian for a ECE-5 elementary school. The move from middle school caught me by surprise. I wasn't prepared for the needs of my younger students and teaching students the skills to access new technology became a daunting task. I failed often. It was frustrating to scramble around the room to view each student's issues with their individual computers. Many days ended in exhaustion and defeat. I desperately needed a solution to teaching technology (or any content for that matter). Over the last six years, I developed ways to teach students of any age through the following steps of blended learning. I'll devote my next several blog posts revealing all the listed steps below to teach effectively within a blended learning environment. Each post is meant to be a "how-to" guide through the blended learning process so one can become more comfortable with the process.

Steps to an EFFECTIVE blended learning environment:

1) Learning Management System

2) Online/In-person Collaboration

3) Direct Instruction w/ screencasts based on feedback cycles (matched with aggressive monitoring)

4) Online checks for understanding

5) Online feedback; face-to-face feedback cycles

6) Differentiation through online groups (via LMS), scaffolded tasks, student voice and choice

7) Inquiry based lessons

No comments:

Post a Comment